Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Notes on Austin Grossman's Professor Incognito Apologizes

1. One of the most prominent symbols I notice in this story are the concept of aliens. In this case, not much is known about the Martians in this story, much like how the main character's fiance, Suzanne, doesn't know that much about the main character (an villainous scientist, from what we can presume). The whole story is based on this idea of secrecy and deception, much like how the aliens never really show their intentions/ ideas on what they will do to Planet Earth (except to the main character, who has made friends with them). The story itself if also deceiving--since we are learning more through the notes of the evil scientist and learning as we go along (through the perspective of Suzanne).

2. There were plenty of connections I had to the story--mentioning Captain Atom was one of them, since I've known Captain Atom to be a superhero from before I was born (60's, I think)? Another connection I had with the story was the idea of trying to redeem/ forgive for prior mistakes (despite them being so evil/ silly). In the story, the main character goes through a list of his previous mishaps that he felt he needed to apologize for--some were diabolical and demanded punishment rather than an apology. While others were so typical from a healthy couple (such as the couple's therapy and going to the restaurant after a fight).

3.I could really see this either being a movie or an internet special (such as Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog). I'd try my best to keep with the original material--maybe have it so that the main character is a narrator or looming presence that grows more sinister as the show progresses. I'd probably find ways to keep it from the fiance's perspective (so that the audience can relate to her). But, in the end, I'd keep it as the villain's perspective, since it is his story after all. And, it could be good for some of the smaller flashbacks to use either 2D or stop-motion animation. Partly because the villain is so cartoony in how he talks, but also because it could save some money versus doing it all live-action.

No comments:

Post a Comment