Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Notes on the Fan Community

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is a special community dedicated to the cute characters and wonderful stories of the show. And while most people somewhat condone the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (the fans known as the "Bronies"), I see no different from any other fan-base. After all, I'm a huge fan of the tribute band, The Protomen, and I'm not a hard-core Megaman fan.

In fact, Megaman wasn't something I grew up with--I never got into it until sophomore year. Because to me, Megaman was something that I always thought was for kids. And not even for the cool kids. But, then my friend recommended me at 3:00 a.m. in the morning to check out the band, The Protomen. I didn't know it was a tribute band, and part of me glad I didn't. Because I was given the chance to listen to "Light Up the Night". Which made me hooked.

What's different I think about the Protomen versus the Megaman is the dystopian twist the band brings to the Megaman storyline. It's not the 90's cartoon I was thinking about--it's incredibly gritty and violent. It's a story about Thomas Light, the creator of Rock/Megaman, trying to redeem himself for making the robots that brought on the end of the world. Which makes the story so much more powerful and has spurred a fan base that resonates with that.

The Protomen are more a cult following than a mainstream one. There's art, fan-music, merchandise, and even some fan-made movies/ animatics based on the album. In fact, I've always wanted to make short snippets/ animatics of the Protomen's album, because I could really see it becoming a mini-series or tv-special. I really hope others will get into them, but I also hope that this won't cause the Protomen to evolve for the main-stream. I hope they grow, but still stay true to who they are as a band.

Here's where you can listen to Light Up the Night (from their second album, Act II: The Father of Death):


No comments:

Post a Comment